Saturday 8 February 2014

2 out of 3

I had three winter targets when I left for West Hartford with Cain this morning. Wandering around the marsh a few Common Snipe lifted but one of my targets Jack Snipe eluded me. Skylarks were singing overhead and Meadow Pipits are starting to arrive back in good numbers, I had 14 on Thursday.

As I approached the south of the pool I heard a Moorhen call from the reed bed and as I turned around a Water Rail (target) flew passed into the reeds. Doing so it spooked a Short Eared Owl (target) which lifted and flew to the west of the pool. Despite the strong winds it managed to perch on a fence post before being bullied away by a Magpie.  Despite a decent amount of Teal being on the pool there was no Green Winged.

We also checked the fields near Seghill for geese but they had moved on. A few Greylags were in the fields at Holywell Pond and a couple of hundred Pink Feet were in the fields at Blyth Links but no Bean or White fronted.


No comments: