Thursday 23 January 2014

Green Gloss

It didn't look like sunday would be off to a good start as the rain stotted off the car as myself, SH and DM drove up to Castle Island. We decided to work backwards and started at Lynemouth Flash. No sign of the Glossy Ibis reported the day before so we checked the flooded fields between the flash and Cresswell Hall Farm. Just as I was about to get out of the car I spotted it standing in the middle of the field next to a pair of Mallard.  After seeing the 2009 bird I had forgotten how small Glossy Ibis are especially next to Mallard who looked almost half the size. With a break in the rain we stayed and watched for a while as the Ibis fed on worms and let off a strange grunting type call.

Next we checked for the Green-Winged Teal at Druridge Pools. Surprisingly easy to find it was sitting in the long grass with its Eurasian counterparts before flying off nearer the pools. I think this was the first time I have seen a GW Teal head on so that I could see the vertical strip on both sides. At one point the Teal was standing next to a Black Tailed Godwit. A load of Shoveler and a few Pintail were on the pools from the Budge Hide but we had just missed the Little Gull.

Eventually we attempted the WEBS count at Castle Island. Not surprisingly we got wet and didn't see much although an unexpected highlight was a dapper looking drake Scaup swimming downstream with a group of Tufted Duck.  I had pre-arranged commitments for the afternoon so I was dropped off back at Crambodia instead of going to the north of the county with Steve and Dee. Once again Grey Phalarope conspire against me, one day I'll see one.

No comments: