Monday 4 March 2013

Getting Louder

As I walked to West Hartford this morning the birds are getting louder. Both Blackbird and Song Thrush in full song throughout the north end of Northburn. Before I left the garden was full of Great Tits and a GS Woodpecker passed through.

The birds at Hartford all seemed a bit nervous as they kept taking to the air. I soon noticed a Sparrowhawk being chased overhead by a Carrion Crow. The Sparrowhawk then disappeared into Hartford Woods causing chaos as 200+ Wood Pigeon and 96 Fieldfare took to the air. I know there were 96 as they landed briefly in the tree tops along the river before flying off.
When things settled down again on the pools there were 4 Greylags, 1 Shelduck, 3 Mallard, 50+ Teal, 9 Oystercatcher and 6 LBB Gulls amongst the BH and Herring Gulls.

The highlight of the morning were 5 bright red male Crossbill which flew south low overhead in the field behind the main pool. I watched them in the bins for about 30 seconds before they disappeared over the top of the fire station. I think this was the first time I had ever seen only male Crossbill together.

No comments: