Sunday 2 December 2012

Another WH first

Yes today I added the tenth addition to my West Hartford list for 2012, which was also a first for the site, but more about that excitement later.


I got to WH this morning in time to see the sun rise, a moment of beauty and tranquillity in an urban surrounding was complete when a pair of Roe Deer walk past the fence line only a few metres away.

A pair of Stonechat were near the main pool and occasionally ventured onto the ice presumably in search of food. Eight Fieldfare flew south and a Cormorant followed the river.

With not much activity near the pools the plantation next to the substation was a different matter. 30 Goldfinch, 20 Siskin and 6 Lesser Redpoll along with multiple tits, Reed Buntings and Chaffinch were feeding on the alder east of the station.

It was whilst watching the alder I could hear an unusual but distant call. I headed further north behind the substation and about half way along the plantation I could hear the call much more clearly and a few second later a female Brambling landed in a dead tree before flying off as quickly as it appeared. Along overdue but very welcome patch tick.

No comments: