Friday 12 October 2012

Numbers building

I’ve had a few visits to West Hartford this week. With the pools devoid of life apart from BH Gulls, I decided to focus on the border area next to Hartford Wood.


A WH mega in the form of a Nuthatch was lurking amongst a tit flock behind the substation and 20 Reed Bunting occupied a single stretch of hedgerow between the substation and the new flash pool. I cant remember the last time I saw 20 Reed Buntings together so this must be a new Hartford record.
Large numbers of Siskin and Lesser Redpoll were all around the site in tight flocks most of which were feeding in trees. The highlight of the trip though was a Red Squirrel jumping around the treetops at Hartford Wood. Also a Common Toad I narrowly avoided stepping on was my first at WH. Whilst watching the Toad two Fieldfare flew over calling.

Yesterday on my way to WH 10 Redwing flew from a berry bush next Northburn Community Centre and headed west.

No comments: