Saturday 15 October 2011

Blyth Riverside

After coming back from the vets in Blyth this morning we stopped and had a walk along the river Blyth. It was low tide and as a result Bar Tailed Godwit, Redshank and Ringed Plover gave close views.
A Grey Wagtail was flying up and down the small stream between the factories as we walked to the Kitty Brewster end.
Walking along the new path behind the riverside workshops I noticed two waders on the edge of the shore. When I got my bins on them I could see that they were two winter plumage Spotted Redshank. I watched them for about ten minutes as they preened and waded through the river.

There was no sign of the Little Egrets under the road bridge but a single juvenile Whooper Swan was swimming west along the river near the widest part of the estuary.

A quick stop at WH on the way back and I could only manage a Buzzard being mobbed by crows. About 150 gulls, mostly BH and Herring were on the main flash.

No comments: