Wednesday 20 April 2011

catching up

I have been out a few times since friday. On saturday morning I had a walk around Woodhorn with SH. We walked around the fields between Woodhorn south pool and Summerhouse Lane pond.
The ponds were quiet but a Grasshopper Warbler and a Whitethroat were vocal along the footpath.
On the way back we checked Arcot where 2 Sedge Warblers were singing away from the hedgrow right of the pond. On sunday evening I went to West Hartford where Warblers were in full song including 2 reeling Grasshopper Warblers. Also there was a black horse roaming around near the brick building, never seen one at WH before.
Yesteray afternoon I went back to WH, amongst the Lapwing and Oystercatchers were 3 Curlew, hopefully there will be more waders on the move soon.
As I was leaving a male Wheatear flew in front of me and landed on the gate post next to the bigger flash. I then looked at the rubbish pile and 2 more Wheatear had appeared.
As I walked further on I noticed a further 4 on the ground between the substation and the metal railings. In total there were 4 males and 3 females, and they were easily the best lookign Wheatear I have ever seen.
No sign of the Black horse today, maybe I was just hallucinating.

83 - Sedge Warbler

84 - Grasshopper Warbler

85 - Wheatear

1 comment:

Yellowbelly in Exile said...

Ah! well; you see it's all that student boozing. Thinking of beer - Black Horse, common name for a pub = auto suggestion.