Saturday 18 December 2010

Goldfinch Drama

Been filling up the feeders in the garden and watching closely again over the last few days. A male Brambling visited the sunflower seed feeder on the fence yesterday morning.
Whilst playing football on Bluestar training pitch this morning a Waxwing was trilling from the trees on the wasteland behind Northburn community centre.
On my way back a male Reed Bunting was amongst the House Sparrow flock in the hedgerow leading down to the road.

Whilst watching the feeders at lunchtime, a female Bullfinch joined the now resident Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Coal and Blue Tits.
As I was leaving the room I heard a thump against the window, which is never a good sign. When I checked I found a Goldfinch on its back with its wings flapping franticly.

I went straight outside to check it and by the time I had got there it had stopped moving. I picked it up and flipped it over on my hand and suddenly opened its eyes and stretched its neck up to the sky.
I thought it might have damaged its neck but seemed alright after a few scratches with its feet. I checked the Goldfinches wings, which seemed ok and after 5 minutes sitting in my hand it hopped onto the patio. I stayed with it for a while longer before it flew off into the trees in the school field.

No comments: