Sunday 7 November 2010

Hide and seek

Since I got back on thursday afternoon I have been playing a game of hide and seek with the Waxwings which are all over Cramlington.
First I checked Sainsbury's car park then Aldi car park and the berry bushes around the youth centre and finally Blagon beer garden and the bushes around the old village square. no sign.

Friday morning I went to the reported sights on Birdguides but again no sign despite arriving only half an hour later.

Saturday morning I was out with some friends and spent about an hour driving around the estate but again nothing.

Sunday morning went to the area JM (Birding Sometimes) has been seeing them and guess what...nothing.

I put out three different types of apples in the seed tray on friday but this has only attracted Starlings.
Waxwings have been top of my garden wishlist for years now and with the apples doing nothing and Blackbirds picking off the few berries in the garden it's not looking good again.

I remember the morning two years ago when I had three seperate groups in the space of 45 minutes when walking to school.

1 comment:

Yellowbelly in Exile said...

There's only one thing worse than not having Waxwings in the garden; it's not being there when they arrive.

My better half saw one in our front garden five years ago, whilst I was earning my honest crust. It was on our cotoneaster. Happily our garden list is a joint venture.