Sunday 10 October 2010

Red and Blue finish

Back out today with SH, DMcK and Ifo to do the WEBS count at Castle Island. When we drove past CI yesterday the river had been drained making for a promising count. When we got there today the water level was back to normal so instead made for a quick and uneventful count.

Next we went down to St.Mary’s wetland as the Red Flanked Bluetail – Lifer, had been seen again. We were at the back of the queue of birders over the second stile at the wetland when we arrived and I could just see the area of fence and post where it had been seen half an hour earlier. Whilst waiting for it to reappear Ifo refound it on the fence to the left where it was being chased by a pair of Robins.
The RFB was only out in the open for a minute or so but I managed to get very good views as it landed on the fence post and then a bush where it turned its back so I could see the pale blue in its tail.

Next we went back to Tynemouth so that Dee could see the Dusky Warbler (a lifer for him as well).
Again the Dusky showed much like it had done yesterday, briefly across the bushes at the base of the pier.
There was no sign of the Great Grey Shrike around Prior’s Park but Ifo did find a Red Breasted Flycatcher in a tree backing onto some gardens. By the time we got to the tree it had gone but a Brambling was showing well.
I now see that a Shorelark was also at Tynemouth this afternoon, I think I'll see a few Shorelarks before my next Red Flanked Bluetail, I hope.

No comments: