Tuesday 30 June 2009

Marazion Marsh

I was dropped off at Marazion Marsh RSPB at 10 this morning where I stayed for 6 hours.
The reserve is 70% reeds designed to attract the first breeding Bitterns to Cornwall. I was mainly using my ears around the reserve as there was nothing on the water.
I heard and saw 7 Sedge Warblers and 5 Reed Warblers around the reserve along with 1 Cetti's Warbler - Lifer.

I listened to the Cetti's song on a free CD that came with a paper, last night, so that it was fresh in my head.
After only being in the reserve 10 minutes I heard the explosive call in the south east reeds where I spent a further 3 hours watching and waiting. The Cetti's was singing every five minutes or so in roughly the same area and eventually I saw it burst out of the reeds and into the bottom of a clump of trees next to a small stream.

I couldn't see anything from the Kingfisher Hide as it was too overgrown. The rest of the time I spent chasing shadows on the edge of the reed bed, but still I enjoyed it.

On the sea from the car park overlooking St.Michael's Mount, there were 4 Basking Sharks very close to a man in a boat!
I will upload photos when I get home.

No comments: