Saturday 25 April 2009

I've got to get up earlier

I was woken up by a phone call from Steve H this morning saying that a Great White Egret was at Arcot Pond but it had just flown off!
He had sent me a text 15 minutes before but I once again didn't get up early and missed the text.
I headed straight out to West Hartford incase it had Landed there but there was no sign.
I was going to take more photos at Drurige Bay for school so on the way I checked Cresswell Pond which has Egret less.
I got another text from steve saying that the Drake Garganey was back at Arcot. When I got there, there were a few birders hopefully waiting incase the Egret had returned. I have never seen Arcot Pond that busy before.
Steve and Dee McKeown where watching the Garganey - Patch Tick, which was sleeping under a tree on the north shore. Although it had its head tucked under its wing I could still see the white eye stripe.
The Red eared Terrapin was sunbathing in the south west corner and this time I managed to see the tiny patch of red on its head.
Before I left a Lesser Whitethroat- Patch Tick, called from the bushes between the pond and Arcot Lane, Grasshoper Warbler, Linnet and Willow Warbler were also around. I had missed the earlier Common Whitethroats and Sedge Warblers.
The Egret was only there for ten minutes and I wouldn't have seen it anyway by the time I got there, but if I had got up early and gone to West Hartford I stood a chance of seeing the Ring Ouzel which was only a couple of streets away from my house.
I checked the school field and have been keeping an eye out in my garden today but no sign either.

89 - Garganey

90- Lesser White Throat

No comments: