Saturday 15 November 2008

Which Warbler?

I spent an hour between 12:30 and 1:30 today looking for the Hume's Leaf Warbler in the willows at St.Marys wetland.
After finding the right area, a Warbler was calling from the top branches of the willows. With my Bins, all Warblers look the same so I couldn't tell if it was the Hume's or anything else. It gave good views for about five minutes before it became harder to see.
I then turned around and in the willows behind me was a pale Chiffchaff and 5 Goldcrest. One of the Goldcrest was so close to my face I didn't want to breathe in incase I swallowing it.
I was happy to leave thinking that it was the Hume's warbler as it was in the same area that it has been in for nearly two weeks but some of the other birders in the area were debating whether it was the Hume's or a Yellow Browed Warbler or if there were both birds there at the same time.
To me it looked slightly darker and more like the Hume's but I cant be sure, but either way it is a lifer but I will try and find out which Warbler it was.
All of a sudden I don't feel so bitter any more.

No comments: