Sunday 26 October 2008

Holy Island

I went on my annual trip to Holy Island on friday. Just as I had crossed the causeway I saw three Pale Bellied Brent Geese- Lifer feeding on the tide line.
I spent three hours on the island and walked around the main areas apart from the Snook.
In half an hours sea watching I saw my three Grey Seals for the first time as well as 11 Gannets, 5 Eider and 1 Common Scoter.
From the lough hide I saw 1 Goldeneye, 9 Mallard, 1 Moorhen and 4 Coot. One House Martin was also flying over the beach, a late straggler.
In the trees around one of the tracks there were 7 Redwing and 4 Goldcrest.
On my way off the island as I waited for the tide to shrink I saw 40+ Curlew, 2 Grey Plover- Lifer, 50+ Redshank and 80+ Brent Geese wading in the mud. A good number of the Brents were Dark Bellied- Lifer. Also a Grey Seal was only a metre or so away from the causeway.
On my way home I called into the hide at Fenham where I searched through 100+ Wigeon but didn't find an the American.

3 comments:

Ghost of Stringer said...

Hiya Crammy

Just had a flock of pinkfeet flying over cramlington... could just about make them out through the dark probably a couple of hundred there... "winkwink"ing all the way !!.... Nov 2nd at approx 19.30...

Crammy Birder said...

Cheers Newton Stringer, where abouts were they? They would be a good patch tick.

Ghost of Stringer said...

They were flying east over the sainsburys petrol station....

Seen a few flocks of pinkfeet moving today up at Newton too...