Sunday 24 August 2008

Only 30 to go

On Friday despite the weather I went up to Long Nanny to do some Tern spotting.
The weather was getting gradually worse and as I got onto the beach I was attacked by a sand storm and then a rain storm.
On the beach there were 50+ GBB Gulls with a few other gulls which I couldn't be bothered to identify. With no sign of any Med Gulls I moved onto Terns.
After a depressing 15 minute soaking I thought screw this and headed back after only seeing 4 Sandwich Terns. On my way back I nearly tripped over a young dead Grey Seal which had been washed up quite far up the beach due to the tide.
Yesterday with the weather looking a bit better I decided to go for the first time ever to Newbiggin-By-The-Sea.
I spent about an hour in the sun sea watching and saw 11 Curlew, 8 oystercatcher, 5 Eider, 1 Red Breasted merganser, 11 Redshank, 3 BH Gull, 14 GBB Gull, 9 Herring Gull, 7 Cormorant, 2 Carrion Crow, 7 Linnet and Lifer no 170, a Northern Whetear which was flying around for the whole hour I was there.
On to Cresswell Pond and apart from three Buzzard and a peregrine circling the south west corner fields it was quiet.
North of the causeway there was no sign of any Little Stint and the Dunlin flock flew off as I arrived all there was were 15 BH Gulls, 1 Grey Heron and a Stock Dove on a fence post in the field behind.
The beach at Snab point was to full of people so all I saw was 5 Ringed Plover, 7 Redshank and 4 Sanderling with no sign of any Little Gulls.
When I got home I found out that the Little Gulls had moved to Lynemouth.

No comments: